Friday, August 1, 2014

A New Beginning: starting over in Tyria

I've been a long-time WoW and SWTOR player, but since both those titles are enjoying an extended hiatus from new PvE content I've turned more attention to The Secret World and, more recently, Guild Wars 2.  I got GW2 when it first came out and played it to about level 50, but something about the experience didn't click for me.  It could have been that I was soloing the game, while my close knit group was doing other things, but I'm guessing it was mostly me.  I was too steeped in old-style questing, a legacy that both Warcraft and Old Republic share.  Whatever the reason, I just didn't get it.

More recently, I've returned to give it another try, this time with a friend of mine.  Surprisingly, I couldn't be more pleased with the experience.  So far, we've begun new Charr characters and have completely explored the Plains of Ashford.  I could be somewhere between level 15 and 17, but it isn't something I'm concerned about because we've been more focused on map exploration, capturing every vista, heart, point of interest and waypoint on our beginning map.



And as you can see from the upper left corner, while we've achieved 100% completion of the Ashford map, we've only seen 4% of the world map.  And that makes me smile.

I had the same feeling a long time ago, playing WoW.  I had just finished the Wetlands on one of my first characters - tore it to shreds, knocked out every quest from Whelgar's excavation to retrieving that old satchel from the slime up by the crypt, and loving every minute of it.

I was just heading across the Thandol Span into Arathi, and I thought to myself, "Across that bridge, I've got a whole new zone to explore, new stories to experience, new characters to meet.  This isn't finished -- I'm just getting started."

That was exactly the feeling I had today.


It's All True

I was reading Belghast's inaugural Blaugust post, where he was singing the praises of the community on his Final Fantasy XIV server and knew a little of the joy he was trying to communicate.  I experienced many of the things that are said about how Guild Wars changed the landscape when it came to player interaction.  The subtle shift in your attitude toward your fellow players is noticeable when they let you gather that herb before them, when they join you in a dynamic event and lighten the load for you, when they pause along their way to rez your fallen carcass and fight off whatever it was that ate you.

I'm not eyeing my fellow players warily, anymore.  In fact, I'm actually doing the same for them.  I'm not worrying about whether I'll steal their kill, or if they think I'm going to ninja their node, or look down upon them because they "needed my help."  In fact, the atmosphere encourages a little more experimentation, a little more risk taking, a little more freedom.

I'm looking forward to it.


6 comments:

  1. I find this outlook one I wish more players held. I'm certainly considering doing exactly this fro Warlords, because I am curious to see just how much of the World of Warcraft can still inspire me to progress without the need to be maximum level almost immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that garrisons might allow for more lateral progress in the midst of the leveling process, rather than waiting until level cap. Less like a mushroom where we shoot up to the cap and then spread out everywhere, and more like a birthday cake that is solid all the way up.

      Delete
  2. I'm totally with you on this. When it comes to the leveling experience and open world exploration, GW2 is still a game that excites me, even almost two years later. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise people like yourself keep telling me this and it's true; GW2 is a fundamentally different experience that can be very rewarding. I want to soak up the lore a bit more as well. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  3. I patched up GW2 two days ago and going to give it another go :-) Hopefully I can find this joy you have found!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely found it to be worth a second shot. Perhaps as you blog your experiences we can compare notes. It'll be nice to have another fellow traveler on the journey. Good luck with GW2!

      Delete