Monday, August 11, 2014

#10Questions

Over on AlternativeChat, the Godmother's expert hand is guiding us through a look back at our early experiences with World of Warcraft.  As usual, she has a dark and deadly purpose behind it all, which she reveals here.  All are welcome to become willing participants in the shadowy schemes of the Overlord.

1. Why did you start playing Warcraft?
World of Warcraft was my first MMORPG, a baptism by fire.  I was heavily into real-time strategy games and had played most of the Warcraft RTS series at that point.  I was aware of the other MMOs out there, others in my family were playing Ascheron's Call and EverQuest, but there was too great a psychological barrier to entry.  My brother introduced me to WoW in November of 2004.  I made a character on his account and was immediately hooked.
2. What was the first character you rolled?
The first character I created was a Troll hunter named RiderHaggard.  I remember spawning into the Den on Durotar and being mesmerized.  All I did for the first 15 minutes was just walk around. I was captivated by the fact that I wasn't attacked within seconds of spawning, my usual experience with other games.  This was something different that gave me time to think and look around.  I have a vivid memory of that first few moments and realizing that this was something closer to a virtual world and less like the console games I knew.  It was a true paradigm shift.   
3.  Which factors determined your faction choice in game?
I initially rolled Horde.  They offered what, to me, were truly innovative races in the trolls, tauren, and undead.  The Alliance was too ordinary looking for me.  Also, I thought that all night elves had to be female, probably from playing the RTS games, and I wanted to create a male avatar to begin with.  
Shortly after getting my own account, I created a night elf druid.
4.  What has been your most memorable moment in Warcraft and why?
 First hour in Burning Crusade.  That first moment when I took my character through the portal and the chaos on the other side on the steps, followed by the gryphon ride through that phantasmagoric night sky and landing in Honor Hold.  I really felt that I had been transported to another world.  The experience was electrifying in its own right, but it was coupled with that feeling that here was a completely new world with new story possibilities opening up for me.


 5.  What is your favorite aspect of the game and has this always been the case?
I love the combination of solo achievement and group dungeon content.  I personally believe that WoW dungeons are at the pinnacle of that particular craft.  I enjoy the experience of assembling our regular group for an instance where we each bring our particular specialties to the party, but then going off on my own for a while to improve my character.  When we regroup I can benefit the party that much more.  WoW achieved what turned out to be a delicate balance here.
6.  Do you have an area in the game that you always return to?
I don't have a zone that I return to, but I whenever I'm in Teldrassil, I always feel as though I've come home.
7.   How long have you /played and has that been continuous.
One of my characters reports 117 days, 16 hours, 14 minutes 23 seconds.  Another is at 86 days.  I have many alts, so it's very hard to tell.  I have been continuously subscribed to WoW since launch except for this past year when I took several months off.
8.  Admit it: do you read quest text or not?
Every single word, every quest.  Otherwise questing could get boring...
 Maybe not the fifth time time through, however.
9.   Are there any regrets from your time in game?
I regret losing track of the good people I met in the game; people in my guild that wandered away, people that I grouped with regularly that had scheduling conflicts or real-life events that pulled them in another direction.  I regret not making an effort to connect with them more personally.  I regret not being more skilled socially to cultivate their friendship.
I regret not running Gnomeregan more often...
10.  What effect has Warcraft had on your life outside gaming?
It's strengthened my realization that when it comes to working and playing with people, there should be no difference between gaming and "real life."  People are worthy of respect whether you talk to them on your cell phone or over ventrilo, or via whisper.
 
 

 This is my eleventh entry in the Blaugust challenge to post once a day for the 31 days of August.

No comments:

Post a Comment