Friday, August 23, 2013

Story Churn



"I need to make sure that those gaming sessions that I do have, that I’m doing fun activities, making progress, and doing what I want, not what I feel like I have to.

I never thought I’d be complaining about games releasing too much content.  Guild Wars 2 has a major content patch every two weeks.  And the casual player who might play once or twice a week is looking at all these achievements that they have to accomplish or else they are going away for ever and ever.  When the content is very transitory, as it is in GW2, it creates a mounting “gaming pressure” that people don't like.

At the same time, with this flood of content, it doesn‘t seem to be adding up to an overarching story"

Too Long, Didn't Listen final episode.

 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a mentality thing. We don't usually complain about having "too much content" in real life, in fact we come to accept the fact that having a plethora of choices must mean that we have to give up some of them. We can't do all the things.

    But in an MMO, if any content is transitory, then it's suddenly not fair.

    Anyways, excellent quote from an excellent podcast (if that's what you're quoting). Excuse me while I go devour the rest of your blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, so right. Still, we pay to play. So, if what we are paying for is gone before we enjoy it. . . .

    ReplyDelete